Migrant boat capsizes: 4 killed, 30 reported missing
DUBAI: Oman is likely to escape the worst of tropical storm Luban, and will probably head towards Yemen instead, Omani forecasters said on Wednesday.
But as it heads towards Yemen, the storm is likely to develop into a category one cyclone, over the next 12 hours, Oman met office added.
Meteorologists warned that heavy rainfall and strong winds would hit Oman as the storm makes landfall. And residents have been warned to take precautions.
Meanwhile, Yemen, worn by an ongoing conflict that has weakened the country’s infrastructure, will face the full force of the storm.
The weather system is approximately 290km away from the southern Oman coast and moving towards Yemen.
Oman’s Meteorology specialist, Hamood Al-Naabiya, had previously told Arab News on Tuesday that if the storm traveled towards the Gulf of Aden, the destructive effects would be less than that of Cyclone Mekunu which killed dozens in May.
In May Cyclone Mekunu ripped through the Yemeni island of Socotra, causing severe flooding, and extensive damage including six ships that sank – four at sea. Flood waters washed away thousands of animals and cut electricity and communication lines. Cyclone Mekunu then moved onto Salalah where whole areas of beach were washed away, as were roads, power cables and properties damaged.
At the end of the week, Mekunu had left 30 people dead – including a 12-year-old girl in Oman, while dozens of others were missing.